2013/9/11 Tom Davies <tomdavies04@yahoo.co.uk>

Hi :)
You can always try opening it with MS Office.

I have opened password protected MS files in LibreOffice without even
being asked to type in a password.  I have been told the other way around
works too.  Both programs use different systems for password protection.

Another way might be to copy the file and then rename the file-ending to
.zip and then you should be able to poke around inside the coding of the
file.  I've not looked at a Calc file that way so i am not sure whether a
text-editor could help recover the information from "contents.xml".  Also i
am not sure if there is a single element that could be deleted to remove
the password protection.

​Unfortunately, while it's true that old mso formats used "password
protection" as a simple access management tool, recent version (think docX)
and libreoffice files *do* encrypt the files.​

Opening the file as a zip file will only yield ciphered files, except for
the mimetype one, which is not very useful.

Most security is more likely to hamper legitimate users than really slow
down a determined cracker.  Encryption is a classic at being more often
responsible for losing crucial or private data.

​If done correctly, the "slow down" part would grow into many years. That's
the point of encryption, since a bruteforce attack is always possible with
every cryptosystems :-)

However, you're right; for most people this option is more like a trap if
it is not part of a greater document management system that does take care
of the details like password, keys, and allow for some kind of recovery.
Maybe there should be a warning box that explicitely state that the
document will be lost if the password is lost​.