After getting to work on a formatting task after help from this list, I ran into the following problems, which I'll report both in the hope that some of the information will be helpful and that I might be able to get some further help...

Having set up all my template styles I needed to convert all the documents' footnotes to endnotes. I found three ways to do this: (1) Tools --> Footnotes/Endnotes --> Footnotes --> End of document and (2) right-click on footnote number/anchor --> footnote/endnote --> select 'endnote', (3) Unzip the odt and find and replace all occurrences of "footnote" with "endnote" and rezip. I chose method (2).

But in any case, it turns out once you successfully have your endnotes in place.. they are automatically placed at the end of the document, which means you cannot insert a bibliography *after* the endnotes. The solution to this is to create a section and select to "collect at end of section" in the footnotes/endnotes tab, and then create a second section for the bibliography.

Now, back to styles and a major bug crops up: When I use the above method and choose to double space the endnotes, LO goes into an infinite page loop creating 1000s of pages and I have to close the document. This only happens within a section. It happens in LO 3.4 and 4.0. I'll report the bug, but right now I just need to get the task done.

I seem to have discovered a workaround by *not* using a section for the article and endnotes, but inserting a section after (technically within) the final endnote. I can then insert the bibliography and all looks well.

So could anyone advise whether I have hit upon decent workaround (is there anything easier?) and whether this will likely affect the MS Word compatibility I was hoping for? A simple task has become rather complicated.

Apologies for the long email. It was a longer night. :-)

Ryan