On 8/27/2013 12:14 PM, Tom Davies wrote:
call it "the English system" when "the English" are now all metric and the US are so proud of their
independence!
I think we Americans are a little stubborn along with our independence. Back in the 1960's there was an effort to change to metric, but about the only visible change was that on the highways the signs gave the distance to the next town in kilometers as well as in miles. (Our tax dollars at work!)

Metric just never caught on here in the USA. And I noticed that as the signs were replaced, the news ones just gave the distance in miles again.

Oh, and our cars still do show the speed in both miles per hour and kilometers per hour - but I think that is probably just in case we happen to visit Canada (who has gone metric, I think) :-)
Ruth Ann, Cincinnati, OH USA

--
Ruth Ann Stewart, Cincinnati, OH
dba Cameo Canine

You cannot bring about prosperity by discouraging thrift.
You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong
You cannot help the poor man by destroying the rich.
You cannot further the brotherhood of man by inciting class hatred.
You cannot build character and courage by taking away man's initiative and independence.
You cannot help small men by tearing down big men.
You cannot lift the wage earner by pulling down the wage payer.
You cannot keep out of trouble by spending more than your income.
You cannot establish security on borrowed money.
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they will not do for themselves.

~William J. H. Boetcker