You are saying that the table stop to .25 and then when you go back into
Writer the next time, the original .49 inch is back?
I am now using 4.0.5 64-bit Debian install and I do not see that happening.

Ok
I just booted up a Win7 laptop - oops - it had 4.1.0
Trying another system.
Win7 Pro
It has 4.0.2.2

I had no problem keeping the tab stop in place.

Maybe there is a glitch in your user profile.
I do not know the link to show you where it is, but you should rename
your user profile "folder" and then restart LO again.  This will give
you a clean copy.  See if it still gives you that issue.  If it does,
then it is a 4.0.4.2 Windows issue.  Since I have 4.0.2 and 4.1.0 on
Windows 7 [Home and Professional] and 4.0.5 on Ubuntu 12.04, I cannot
test the 4.0.4 version without a full reinstall.

The 4.0.2 will be upgraded to 4.0.5 later.

Sorry for you lack of responses.
Sometimes the questions get lost or no one has seen the reported issue
before.  I had a printer issue that had a check-box option that only was
seen in a dialog windows of the Debian install versions of LO, and not
on the Windows install, that solved the problem for one printer, while
the other[s] did not have the issue at all.