Wrong! Calibre does a great job of converting .odt to ePub without an
intermediate conversion to HTML.

That may be the case, but formatting from HTML will render better results
when doing the conversion. This is especially true when uploading books to
Barnes & Nobel. Their meatgrinder doesn't deal well with things like
centering and such. You have to manually edit the CSS of the ebook file in
order to get objects actually centered. I've done this on a fourteen
ebooks so far.

Thankfully there are a multitude of other devices available with the
better advantage of epub support.

I have to wonder if the LO user guides are simply too complex for
elegant
translation to e-reader format.

They should be; if an academic article with maths and graphics (e.g.
http://downloads.hindawi.com/journals/jtc/2013/349870.epub) can be
created, the LO user guides should be possible.

deleted

--
jack wallen, jr <--- lover of entropy

Writer of the I Zombie, Fringe Killer, Shero, and Screampark series as
well as the upcoming The Book of Jacob Series.
Learn more @ www.monkeypantz.net

deleted