When I was learning such things back in the 1960s and 70s, a single space between sentences would have been marked as wrong. Things do have a way of constantly changing (evolving or deteriorating, depending on your opinion), but I still stick to the two-space standard after the sentence. I think that makes things more readable, and I believe readability should be the paramount goal.

-- Tim Deaton