using elaix
you can do a global search and replace (easier I think with the alt
replace ext.) of the headings used in a doc with the headings elaix
employs. Took just a few minutes once you understand how to do that.
HOWEVER you can always select to include the existing headings without
the search and replace [and this worked as well, so no reheading was
actually necessary :-)  ]
elaix added the larger images,  which none of the other options handled
well (there are two different styles of images in the
GS4001-IntroducingLibreOffice.odt file, however, elaix also produce the
tiny png files too large

using pandoc
download the odt file and save as a docbook which will produce an xml file
now from command line run pandoc
host:directory user$ pandoc -f docbook -t epub -s GS4001.xml -o
gettingstarted.epub

pandoc can also produce epub3 with mathml

there will be some glitches here and there but it will likely present
fewer issues than many other options for converting docs already
formatted, such as the guides.  I noticed that there were some issues
with the different graphic files.

using writer2xhtml
actually, if anything, using writer2xhtml
(http://extensions.libreoffice.org/extension-center/writer2xhtml) to
export to epub is the simplest (though there has not been any recent
work on the product) though images were an issue.