Hi :)
In Windows "Disk clean
up" might do it.  It does a scan and then shows you a list of different
types of things it could get rid of.  It's often worth keeping some of
the things, such as "set-up files".

Ubuntu
 janitor does much the same although there is a better one in "Ubuntu
Tweaks" which you can get onto Ubuntu with these commands
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:tualatrix/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install ubuntu-tweak

I suspect that most distros have some standard tools to do routine decluttering like that and some
will have it in some sort of "Control Panel" type of thing so you can do a whole load of things all
at once from some central point.

You are not the first one to have that sort of problem so tools are already out there
Regards from
Tom :)