Eric,
I use Kate in KDE to do my source coding and it does color syntax highlighting. I am sure there are other Linux plain text editors that do it too. However, those colors are only in Kate and do not exist in the edited file. One thing you might try is to capture the screen and insert it into your LO document as an image. I have done that to print something and the colors do exist in the LO document. However, if your source file is long, that could get tedious fast.

Another nice feature of Kate is that you can define projects, Kate calls them "sessions", which may include several files. Opening a saved session, opens all the files and they can be listed in a hierarchical list in a left window pane. This makes copying and pasting from one file to another simple.
Hope this helps.
Girvin Herr