Hi :)
Yes, when you are working on a document Writer treats it as a Odt.

That is 1 reason why people recommend keeping "an original" in Odt and then only export to Doc or
other formats when you need to share the document with other people on systems that don't have any
of the non-MS Office Suites or programs.

Other programs behave the same way.  When you save in a non-native format it does a translation
into that format.
Regards from
Tom :)