Hi :)
Yes, i was trying to keep it simple and practical by  avoiding side issues or detail.  Even so my
post turned out to be a lot longer than planned!

For some projects
stability = stagnation

ie that the 3.0.0 could be considered stable because pretty much all the bugs are known issues and
mostly written-up somewhere.  That has never been considered good enough in LO.  The earlier
releases in a branch are not considered "more stable" after the branch reaches .3 or .4.  It's only
the .3 or .4 and onwards that are considered more stable.

Time-based releases vs "release when ready".  Whichever methodology is used it's only after initial
proper release that the thing gets used on the mad set-ups out in the real world that most problems
surface and get fixed.  With MS products many corporates wouldn't consider installing before
Service Pack 1 got released, which means it's only after SP 1 that many  problems come to light!
So, i agree with Stuart and most of the rest of the project on this issue.  I'm sure the arguments
about which is best will continue for another 7 years  in most projects (and possibly longer).

We all get to play ginea pig but we would with proprietary software too.  The difference is that if
a problem we reported does get fixed we get the fix for free along with all the updates that we
didn't help with.  There is no paying for upgrades or being pushed into buying a different bundle
by some salesman.

Regards from
Tom :)