At 18:32 31/07/2013 -0400, Don Parris wrote:
I download two files from my banks that have transaction descriptions that look like so (the one with a * to the left is from Bank #2 - the rest are from Bank #1):
      PURCHASE AT MY GROCER #NNN, CHARLOTTE, NC ON 050913 FROM CARD#:
XXXXXXXXXXXXNNNN  *   MY GROCER #NNN CHARLOTTE NC
      PURCHASE AT BIG BOX NNNN, CHARLOTTE, NC ON 050413 FROM CARD#:
XXXXXXXXXXXX1113      MERCHANT PAYMENT BIG BOX ANNNN AT LOC NNNNNN BIG BOX
ANNNN PINEVILLE Charlotte NC

Notice the way two transactions at BIG BOX are referred to in two different ways - one includes a date, while the other does not. Also, all series of "N"s & "X"s above are numbers.

All this doesn't help much until we know exactly what you need to extract from all this.

My database has payee names like so:
entity_id  |  entity_name
01        |  My Grocer
02        |  Big Box

I want to prep the bank data and create a fresh CSV file, so as to cull out some of the unnecessary data and create a fresh CSV file for importing into my back-end DB. Ideally, I can automagically match the entity name from the description field to the entity name in my DB. My question is (or maybe questions are):

If I have the ID in ColA and the Name in ColB (from my DB), I want to put the description list (from the banks) in ColE and be able to match payee names and have the ID copied to ColD. Even if I have to create a separate column for each bank's description style, that's still gotta be better than trying to manually match up transaction data from my bank to what I have in my DB.

I thought about VLOOKUP, but that seems to not work at all when I try it using text fields.

So exactly what did you try - and what happened when you did?

What do you have in column E - the entire record from the bank, not just the "entity name" you want to search for? In that case, the first thing you probably have to do is to strip out just the entity name into a separate column: let's say column F. How you do that depends on the precise possibilities in the bank data. The next problem is that VLOOKUP() can retrieve values only from the right of matched cells, whereas your "entity ID" is currently to the left of the entity name. Since you haven't mentioned column C, I'm going to take that over for this purpose. In C1 enter =A1 and fill this down the list of entities: you now have a copy of the ID list to the right of the names - where they need to be.

Now in D1 enter
=VLOOKUP(F1;B$1:C$10;2;0)
and fill that down column D.

I trust this helps.