On 07/24/2013 11:21 AM, doug wrote:
On 07/24/2013 06:41 AM, John R. Sowden wrote:
We have created a floor plan, using LO Draw with a scale of 1/8" = 1'. Now we want to take it to Kinko's (Fed Ex) and have it printed for about $4.00 per page. Problem is they cannot print it. A few questions:

1) What is the standard file format (description and file type) for professional drafting?
The AutoCad file formats should be supported: .dxf and .dwg.

2) Does LO Draw support this format?
Probably not.

3)  If not, is there a work around?
You might see if QCad can import your drawing format. I seem to remember that it can output .dwg.

4) Can I print multiple parts of the drawing onto 8.5" x 11.0" paper, then tape them together for a preliminary draft? (I know I can do the taping part, its the printing that is an issue :) )?
You mentioned .pdf. If you can get your file into .pdf, you can select pieces of a pdf file to print--at least you can in
AdobeReader. I don't know if any of the freebies can.

5)  And , finally, Does the PDF format fit into this issue at all?
See last answer.

tia,

John

--doug

Did some research: QCad wants dxf input. You might want to go thru QCad to check on the drawing and make sure that the conversion worked properly. (And fix it, if necessary. Next time do the drawing in QCad in the first place.) Anyway, you can almost surely get a dxf file printed by some custom printing place that has a plotter. You probably want D-size or E-size output, and you should get at least two copies--one to submit to the permit-issuing entity, and one for the builder. Be careful of the drawings--they will have been done in ink, most probably, and will smear if wet.
(There is probably an E-size laser printer somewhere, but i don't know.)

A Linux program that converts pdf to dxf is pstoedit. See information on the PCLinuxOS forum, here:

http://www.pclinuxos.com/forum/index.php?topic=89825.0

Here's the skinny on x-size drawings:
A-size is 8½ x 11 inches
B-size is 11 x 17 inches
C-size is 17 x 22 inches
D-size is 22 x 34 inches
E-size is 34  x 44 inches

I imagine you see the pattern, so if you forget the sizes, you can re-create them by following the pattern
up from standard letter-size of 8½ x 11.

--doug