On 07/20/2013 02:06 PM, Mirosław Zalewski wrote:
On 20/07/2013 at 19:51, "Kracked_P_P---webmaster" <webmaster@krackedpress.com>
wrote:

So we no longer have to do a separate install command for installing the
desktop menus?  So one "sudo dpkg -i *.deb" is all we need?
Yes, this is how it is supposed to work.
(There are some bugs in rc3 that causes package conflicts with earlier version
of LO, so running this command might run you into trouble.)

On the other hand: if you are like me and you keep different LO versions
installed for testing purposes, then you must take extra care to not install
desktop-menus and not pollute your working environment with unnecessary menu
entries.

But since this is not use-case for most of users, I believe change is for
good.

What I now do is test a version on a different system than my main desktop.

For my Debian-based systems, I now uninstall LO before I install the new version. This solves some integration issues that sometimes come up and the fact that sometimes my systems think I still want to run the previous version, say 4.0.3, when I just installed 4.0.4.

I run Ubuntu 12.04 with MATE desktop and Win7 [in a few flavors]. Ubuntu on my main desktop [5 TB in 3 drives] and two dual booting laptops, plus a couple of other systems that are used only for specific functions- like media streaming or demoing.