Hi :)
There are quite a few recent threads about this that might be worth exploring
http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/nabble-mailing-list-interface/

I think it's easier to just try these 3 ways of getting a solid line all the way across the
document.  Just do 3 characters of either -  ~  or  =  like this

1.   ---
2.   ~~~
3.   ===

Each produces a different type of line and one of them might not be what you would expect.  I think
you can "undo" (Ctrl z) if you don't like one of them.  Then you can try another.  Also it is
possible to create any sort of fancy line you like in Draw and then paste that into Writer.  That
way gives you much more flexibility as well as  freedom to design.

It's a bit of a pain the thing has vanished from the menu.  There seem to have been a few things
like that lately.  Hopefully there is a plan to do a better, more elegant implementation fairly
soon but until then we just have to figure out work-arounds.

A lot of the code is still based on very ancient code and getting LibreOffice smoother, faster and
more modern might well involve shaking things up a bit from time-to-time.  Many people stick with
older versions "for production use" because then they get less surprises.  On the other hand they
also miss out on interesting innovations and the improving compatibility with the ever-changing MS
formats.  So, a lot of people get more recent versions of LO asap in order to test-drive the newer
versions alongside their "production version".  I usually have one machine that i upgrade a lot
more often but then leave all my colleagues on an older version.
Apols and regards from
Tom :)