At 09:46 26/06/2013 -0400, Helen Etters wrote:
I've volunteered to edit a one-time publication of a collection of plays. The plays came to me in different styles -- three of the plays came to me with all the characters's speaking lines centered -- the characters's names centered a line above.

Some of the writers seem to have centered the names with a centering code -- I can highlight the name and use the "left margin" code to move the name to left margin. Others seem to have centered by spacing over! (yes) and I have to backspace until I get the name to the left margin.

None used a colon after the speaker, and the publisher wants it. I've made some progress with Search & Replace -- Search for all incidents of TOM and replace with TOM colon space. But the most tedious part is moving TOM from center to left and bring his speaking lines up to begin on the same line. Is there any way I can put these plays into a style sheet and save this work, or would creating the style sheet take as long as what I'm doing? I've never used styles. And this is a one-time job so if I have to do it all by hand, at least it's only once.

In situations like this, it's very often easiest to lose all the existing formatting and insert your own from scratch - rather than trying to tinker with what you have. That's very easy to do: just use Edit | Paste Special... (or right-click | Paste Special... or Ctrl+Shift+V) instead of ordinary Paste, selecting "Unformatted text" from the options in the Paste Special dialogue, when inserting your material. Since you will already have done some work on the text, you can do this from where you currently are by selecting your entire document text, copying it, and pasting it Unformatted either back over the original or else into a new document. (I'd suggest a new document, as you might well want to go back and look at how the original material *was* formatted, in fact.)

Then you need to learn a few tricks to tidy things up.

You don't need to backspace over a number of spaces. Put the cursor at the start of the line (paragraph, in fact). Press Ctrl+Shift+right arrow. This will select the range of spaces. Now press Delete to remove them. You can also use Find & Replace to replace space-space with space. Keep repeating that until there are no more double spaces and you will be close to what you need. (It is seldom useful to have consecutive spaces in any word-processed document.) Better still, use Find & Replace to replace ^ + (that's circumflex-space-plus sign) with nothing, having clicked More Options and ticked "Regular expressions". This will remove all spaces from the start of any paragraph (which is what your relevant lines will presumably be).

Perversely, there appears to be no easy way to merge "TOM: " with the next paragraph (or if there is, I've managed to forget it): you might be left with doing this manually.

Yes, you can create styles to do some of this, but you would still have to apply the styles to the relevant parts of the text. They would be more useful if, say, you wanted character names to be a different font, size, or style - or perhaps all of these - from the surrounding text. Using a character style to set these would be a benefit in various ways: it would be quicker, it would be more reliable at ensuring all the text was treated in the same way, and it would enable you to change your selected settings later at a stroke. And yes: you could import such styles into any new document in the future or put them in an appropriate template.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker