Openoffice stores individual macros in modules. Modules are stored in libraries, and libraries are stored in macro containers.

Three "things" can be macro containers, documents, your user space, and one that is global to OpenOffice. It sounds like you desire to add a macro that is global to OpenOffice. I have never done this.... It is not enabled on my Linux system, is it available to you to do from the GUI when you are logged in as an administrator?

I expect that the Link from Tom Davis is the best you can find, since I don't see an ability to set the Macro location directories in the configuration.