Hi Malcom,

the floating frame is a remainder from StarOffice5.2. It is defined in ODF, but I do not know any OOo, AOO or LO version, where it works.

The (old) help text says, that it is intended to display foreign webpages in HTML-documents, but in Writer/Web floating frames are disabled in the UI. The idea had been to have something corresponding to the HTML 'iframe'.

Malcolm Moore schrieb:
How do you move a floating frame ?

In Writer you can get the frame with double-click in the Navigator and then you have green handles as usual. The sensitive part for moving is very small, only the border line of the frame. In Draw/Impress you have to traverse the objects with the Tab key. When you see in the status bar, that the floating frame is selected, you can use the Position&Size dialog. The floating frame is named "Embedded OLE" in the status bar. The frame does not react immediately on the settings, but you have to save and reload the document.

 I have been experimenting with
them... and I can't see whyI'd want to use one but having inserted
one and linked it toa picture that seems to be it.

I see no sense to use it for a pictures. Pictures can be inserted directly and can be handled without problems. You can show another document in the frame, like an OLE object, but without linking to an application. But the content of floating frames is not rendered in presentation mode in Impress and is not printed. For me floating frames are useless in the way it is implemented now.

 I can't move it or
size it or get rid of it Ta M

When they are selected (see above) you can delete them with the Del-Key in Draw/Impress. In Writer the floating frames have a context menu, which is specific for floating frames, where you can find some things, which you can do with the frames. In the Writer-Navigator right click on the item, which belongs to the floating frame; there you get an item to delete it.

Kind regards
Regina