2013/6/9 Ken Springer <snowshed1@q.com>:
On 6/9/13 8:11 AM, Johnny Rosenberg wrote:

The Linux magazine ”Linux Format” compared image editors in their
LXF171 issue. The combatabts were GIMP, Inkscape, Krita, MyPaint and
Pinta. MyPaint won the user interface round, but was worst in a few
categories, such as text support, user interface customisability,
multimedia and animation. ”Winner” was Krita, then Inkscape, Gimp,
MyPaint and Pinta.

To me, this is muddying the waters of what an image editing program is.

Image editing means manipulating a bitmap at the pixel level.  Those would
be Gimp, Photoshop, etc.

Inkscape is a vector drawing program, such as Corel Draw and any CAD
program.

Totally different animals, and to compare them in one test is, to me, wrong
if not bogus.

--
Ken

Mac OS X 10.8.4
Firefox 20.0
Thunderbird 17.0.5
LibreOffice 4.0.3.3

Well, you need to read the whole article, of course, to understand how
and what they did, and why. My point was only to point out MyPaint as
a user friendly alternative, since I think the OP, among other things,
asked for that, at least between the lines.
Since I didn't try MyPaint myself (well, I did, but it seems like the
Ubuntu 12.04 repository version is older than the tested version, if I
remember correctly), I just used Linux Format as a reference. They
liked the program, even if it ended up at fourth place out of five.
”Less versatile than the others, but it succeeds in its mission
beautifully”, they said. Since versatility didn't seem to be critical,
I though MyPaint could be worth a try for someone. Only a suggestion,
nothing more than that.

Johnny Rosenberg