At 11:17 07/06/2013 -0400, Charles Marcus wrote:
I have a workbook with multiple sheets, some of which reference data from other sheets in the workbook. I have one 'Main' sheet, that lists our Sales Reps, and has each ones monthly numbers, by column, ie:

1  Name  Jan  Feb  ...  Dec  YTD

I have other sheets that have these Reps broken down by Team, and pulling each Reps numbers from the Main sheet. The problem is, I need to be able to sort the Main Sheet by the Sum column (to show the top Sales Rep), but when I do that, since the references on the Team sheets still reference the same Col/Row, the numbers are now wrong. Googling reveals this is apparently by design, as the Rows themselves aren't changing.

One workaround for this would be to use VLOOKUP() to extract the information from your Main sheet to the others instead of addressing cells directly. The names - Rep1 and so on - would naturally appear on your later sheets, and the cell in which they appear should be the first parameter of your VLOOKUP() there. The second parameter would be the array of values on the Main sheet, the third indicate (numerically) which column of data (month etc.) you wish to retrieve, and the fourth FALSE or zero, to indicate that the key "Name" column in the array is not necessarily sorted. The values would now be found irrespective of the ordering within your source array on the Main sheet.

So, I was think if I could reference it instead of by Row#, by the content of A# - ie, instead of: 'Main.A2' for the Jan numbers for Rep1, something like: 'Main.A"Rep1"'. Is this possible?

That's effectively what VLOOKUP() does, of course.

There is a way of doing something like this, using the INDIRECT() function: =INDIRECT("Main.A"&<expression>) will reference a cell in column C on sheet Main according to the numeric value of <expression> (which could be just a cell reference, of course). But I suspect that this is of little use here, as extracting the relevant number to use is probably the same as the original problem.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker