On 06/04/2013 05:27 PM, CVAlkan wrote:
To answer your questions "How did you get rid of the Ubuntu 12.04 version's
install of LO?"
After trying several alternatives, I ended up with [sudo apt-get remove
libreoffice*.*]. Before doing that the installation kept failing, so you
might be on to something there. Might I have missed a whole separate set of
packages?

Just for grins, I did the [sudo dpkg -i *.deb ] from the desktop-integration
folder again. That's actually how I originally installed the 4.0.3.3 version
originally. No change.

I guess this isn't all that important, but it worked before and the fact
that it doesn't with the version 4.0.3 might indicate something slipped
through the cracks that may have other less obvious effects. I went
immediately from the 3.6 flavor in Ubuntu Software Center to the 4.0.3
flavor, so I don't know if the change occurred in 4.0.3 or earlier in the
4.0 line.

That removal should do it, but I always check with the Synaptic Package Manager to see if there was anything missed.

Why 12.04 does not install it by default, I have no clue. It was t heir default package manager [other than Ubuntu Software Manager] for years. I have been using S.P.M. since 8.10 or 9.04. There are packages listed in that manager that I do not find, or find easily, with the Ubuntu Software Manager.

The top menus part of LO must have had a bug or something. I know it worked before, and there was a lot of work to make it work, so why it does not work, well someone should know. I wonder which was the last version that it worked with Unity's top menu system.

I went from 3.6.5 or .6 to 4.0.0. But I dislike Unity and almost never open a session running it instead of MATE desktop. So I am no help on where it stopped working.

As for less obvious and cracks, I had duplexing issues with half of my printer that had the duplexing hardware installed. Nothing would get those to work properly with LO when they worked fine with other package. It took checking the check-box for the "Use LibreOffice dialogs" under the "Print dialogs" option from "Tools>Options>LibreOffice>General" - plus that was not an option shown in the Windows version of LO, only Linux and may be only DEBs version. So that was a "try this check-box and see what this does or changes". So it could be something like that.

There could also be some line in the config file[s] that got messed up. One of the things people tell others is to rename the LO folder of the .config hidden file. Not the .libreoffice one that 3.5 and 3.6 [?] used. Then reopen LO and LO will rebuild it like a clean install. There is some issues that DO crop up during the 3.5 to 3.6 and the 3.6 to 4.0 upgrades and the updating to the new config file[s] format[s]. It might be worth the effort. My 3.6 to 4.0 update of the config file basically required me to re-install all my extensions and other add-ons and re-set-up all my options over again. Wipe a lot out and what was left was corrupted or just not right.