Hi :)
I found it extremely smooth on most machines.  2 gave me a bit of trouble mostly because i had to
interrupt their process and tried to resume later.  Both claimed they couldn't resume the process
and would stay at the 10.04 although 1 of those had actually made it as far as 12.04 and just
needed a little "fix broken packages" and i finished up with a tidy-up using Janitor in Ubuntu
Tweaks.  The other one is still giving me a little grief but is happy in 10.04.  I just never get a
chance to sit at the machine.  I might set it to run a few things overnight one night, if i
remember.

Hmm, actually thinking about it that one was a 10.10 and really should not have skipped all the
intermediate 6monthlies.  LTS to LTS has always been fine for me.  8.04 to 10.04 was fine on the 1
machine i tried it on.  10.04 to 12.04 has been fine on about 90% of machines i've tried.

After doing the upgrade you would be wise to run through Medibuntu again to get the multimedia
extras.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Medibuntu

Also you might like to try these

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:tualatrix/ppa
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:team-xbmc
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:jonoomph/openshot-edge
sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-tweak
sudo apt-get install xbmc
sudo apt-get install openshot openshot-docI couldn't find the "Unity Tweaks" but if you can find it
please let me know how to install it as i had great fun with it on the experimental machine i first
tried the upgrade on.  Ubuntu Tweaks is really useful.  Xbmc is a great movie player.  I much
prefer it too even Vlc now but it starts up in full screen mode trying to change your desktop into
a dedicated dvd-player.  Hunt the settings to find how to get it into "windowed mode" or before
opening it attack it's User Profile.  I always forget and then freak out and hope my boss doesn't
suddenly appear.  Openshot is a movie editor but i haven't used it yet.  I don't know if it's the
best or not.  Someone else was talking about Blender.

The main problem i had with the upgrade is that it wanted to download tons of updates and upgrades
and new packages from the internet.  I didn't get a chance to see if i could do the upgrade from a
12.04 Cd (which was a bit dumb but the office has unlimited broadband (well Adsl) so it didn't
really hurt).

Regards from
Tom :)