What version are you using and what OS?
 4.0.2? 4.0.3?
Win7, Win8? Mac? Linux?

What type of image?  JPEG, PNG?
How large it is in file size?

Let me get it correct. . .

You click on the image/picture. Then you go to Format and the wrap, anchor, alignment, etc. are all grayed out. Then you try right clicking on the image and the wrap/contour option - it crashes.

I just tried it on an image, that is a part of a LO brochure, with 4.0.3 on 64-bit Debian install and it worked fine and no crashing.

So it may be in your install version or something got messed up in your user profile.

Try renaming your user profile and then when you open LO, a new clean one will be created. If that does not work, then it may be the install itself. Uninstall LO completely and reinstall it.