Hi :)
The limiting factor is the format.  Csv is very limited.

It can't cope with formulas so anything you enter as a formula (such as look up value in certain
position on another sheet, or add this load of values together from these other places) all gets
reduced down to set figures.

As an Ods you could have one or a couple of sheets with all the formulas doing a lot of the work
that you currently have to do manually.  Then just adjust the input sheets and save your formula
sheets as new Csvs.

Could you send me the data off-list and a couple of examples of the Csvs you create from them?

For backing up in Ods you might try

Tools - Options - "Load/Save" - General

and tick the boxes in the "Save" section "Always create a back-up copy" and "Save autorecovery
information every" and change the stop-watch time to something more reasonable.  Choosing these
options sometimes makes photos and images disappear from documents but it's very rare and not an
issue for these Csvs as Csv can't contain images anyway.

I hope something there helps!
Regards from
Tom :)