Date: prev next · Thread: first prev next last
2013 Archives by date, by thread · List index

Hi :)
Heading 1a is non-standard so it is something that someone has added.  Probably you while you were 
learning about styles by experimentation (which is a valid way to learn but dipping into the 
chapter at the same time makes it more optimal).  

From what little i understand various styles should be linked in some way so that if you change 
the font (or something) of 1 then that change ripples through all the other relevant styles.  
However i think you are meant to modify the standard styles rather than re-invent your own.  
Obviously it's smart to create your own for testing purposes so that you can experiment without 
breaking anything but then apply what you learned to the main existing styles.  

Having said all that it might well be best to upgrade to the 4.0.3 first.  The x.x.3 is the 
equivalent of Service Pack 3 and is usually the point where a branch becomes suddenly much more 
stable.  The 4.0.x has been more stable than earlier releases for me and i upgraded early because 
of it but normally i would wait for the x.x.3.  After that putting the time into fixing the problem 
is more likely to mean it stays fixed.  

Somewhere on the icon-bar is a backwards P which does show formatting marks but that doesn't show 
styles.  It does tend to give hints about where things might have gone wrong but the napalm option 
is probably the fastest way to fix this.  

Regards from 
Tom :)  

From: Carl Paulsen <>
To: "" <> 
Sent: Friday, 10 May 2013, 12:43
Subject: Re: [libreoffice-users] Table of Contents woes

Thanks, Tom.  It does seem like there's more than one style applied, but 
I don't know how to check that.  Is there a way to display hidden 
characters (would that show styles?) or other way I could see what's 
going on?  The napalm approach would be to remove all styles for the 
document and then re-apply them.  Maybe I'll try that on a portion of a 

Does anyone know what the Heading 1a style is for?  Is it possible I 
created it a year ago when I started this document?  I don't recall 
doing that.  I'll take a look at the styles section of the manual as 
it's about time I really learned how to use them.  A PITA to learn but I 
can see it's the best way to go.

Here's a little more info:
Heading 1a is level 1 in this document (not indented even thought this 
section header IS in fact indented)
Heading 1a is linked with Contents 2 (which is supposed to be level 2 I 

So two questions.  First, could this be part of the trouble? Second, I 
was considering upgrading to LO 4, and in case my styles got scrogged, 
is there a way to upgrade while removing any styles I may have created?  
I'm sure I can re-apply the Draft style watermark which is the only 
custom style I intentionally use.


On 5/10/13 2:16 AM, Tom Davies wrote:
Hi :)
Have you been able to manually edit it?

It does look as though something is very wrong.  It looks like 2 
styles have been applied to each heading.  First as a sub-heading and 
then as a main heading.  Sometimes the fastest way to fix something is 
an inelegant approach such as mine rather than trouble-shooting down 
to the exact cause.

If it was all the sub-headings that you wanted to get rid of then it's 
fairly easy to set the ToC to only show main headings but that would 
not help this case.  There is some documentation on Styles in Chapter 
3 of the Getting Started Guide

Hopefully someone else can give a better answer (or even better if i 
missed a better answer)
Apols and regards from
Tom :)

     *From:* Carl Paulsen <>
     *To:* "" <>
     *Sent:* Thursday, 9 May 2013, 19:21
     *Subject:* [libreoffice-users] Table of Contents woes

     Build ID: e0fbe70-dcba98b-297ab39-994e618-0f858f0
     On an Intel Mac on 10.6.8

     I have a draft document in which I've used heading styles for
     I now want to create a Table of Contents (ToC), but I'm having
     getting it to work right.  I'm using the styles almost as they
     came with
     the software (I added one style for a "Draft" watermark that I'm also
     using in this document).

     The problem is that sections to which I've applied the Heading 1a
     end up with 2 or 3 entries in the ToC, at different levels. So, for
     example, I have one Heading 1 section, "Fundraising History,"
     by a subsection called "Annual Fund" set to Heading 1a.  There are
     subsections with Heading 1a applied, then other sections with
     Heading 1
     applied.  The ToC reads:

     Fundraising History
         Annual Fund
     Annual Fund


     The ToC should read:

     Fundraising History
         Annual Fund


     ToC screen grab
     (I've inserted a screen-shot image here but not sure it'll get
     to the group.)

     Any idea what's going on and how I can fix it?  Thanks so much.


     Carl Paulsen

     Dover, NH

Carl Paulsen

To unsubscribe e-mail to:
Posting guidelines + more:
List archive:
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted


Privacy Policy | Impressum (Legal Info) | Copyright information: Unless otherwise specified, all text and images on this website are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 License. This does not include the source code of LibreOffice, which is licensed under the Mozilla Public License (MPLv2). "LibreOffice" and "The Document Foundation" are registered trademarks of their corresponding registered owners or are in actual use as trademarks in one or more countries. Their respective logos and icons are also subject to international copyright laws. Use thereof is explained in our trademark policy.