On 04/12/2013 04:51 PM, Paul D. Mirowsky wrote:

On 4/12/2013 1:47 PM, Dan Lewis wrote:
On 04/12/2013 01:11 PM, Paul D. Mirowsky wrote:
LibreOffice Version 4.0.2.2
Windows 7 64bit

Has anybody using Base found a way to add a description to an object.
If it has a menu item to add, I'm not sure which to choose.

"Rename" is available for Title, but no "Description".

The main window for Base does show a place to display it in the upper right hand quadrant.

The following is from HELP.

Begin Quote----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 Description

Assigns a title and a description to the selected object. These are accessible for accessibility tools and as alternative tags when you export the document.

To access this command...

Open the context menu for the object - choose *Description*

   Title

Enter a title text. This short name is visible as an alternative tag in HTML format. Accessibility tools can read this text.

   Description

Enter a description text. The long description text can be entered to describe a complex object or group of objects to users with screen reader software. The description is visible as an alternative tag for accessibility tools.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------End Quote

Thanks
Paul

The key to this is a phrase it contains: "export the document". When using Writer, this can be use for a variety of documents such as a graphic or frame. If you right click one of these, the context menu appears containing *Description*. I have not tried opening a slide presentation to see if it applies there as well. It likely will. However, this does not apply to the database objects found in the main database window. (They are not part of a document.)

--Dan

And yet, when you run your mouse over a "Task" on upper left quadrant, under "Description" the text describing it shows immediately.

Should I assume that is tied to "Base" from its origins in HSQLDB and not able to function in LibreOffice or is just not applied to user made objects?

"Queries" drive me crazy.
It would be a very convenient function and reduce the memory exercise of how this or that was done and how it should be used.

Regretfully, the language is not clear in "Help" under Base as compared to what shows on the main window of Base and is confusing.

Thanks
Paul
I do not think you know what LibreOffice means when it uses the term /object/. Here is the definition, also found in help:

   "Object

An object is a screen element containing data. It can refer to application data, such as text or graphics.

Objects are independent and do not influence each other. Any object containing data can be assigned certain commands. For example, a graphic object has commands for image editing and a spreadsheet contains calculation commands."
From this I understand that an object is something that you add to a LibreOffice document using a tool on a toolbar that places something on the screen. For example, the Drawing toolbar while in Writer, Calc, Base, or Impress. When this is visible, you can click a tool and draw it in your open document. Then you can click the "object" you just drew and select "Description from the context menu. So, what about "queries?" What is it that you do not understand? It is a term that is used by every database program for decades. The purpose of a query is to search the data in its database for specific information. For example, when you went to Help and looked up the term "Description", you found what you quoted in your first email. What you did was to create a query whose purpose was to search for the information it had on the term /Description/.

--Dan