On 04/10/2013 07:36 PM, Herbert Fruchtl wrote:
This question seems to have been discussed before, but none of the replies I understand work for
me. Here it goes:

If I copy a column-based piece of text, containing numbers in some columns, into LibreOffie Calc and apply
the (hopefully) correct text-to-column delimiters, all columns (including the numbers) are interpreted as
text. On closer inspection I find that at the start of each number there is a single quote (invisible in
Calc, but I can delete it with backspace, and then the number is recognized as such). Doing it manually cell
by cell is the only way that works. "Paste special" as number or as text doesn't work. Search and
replace doesn't work (or I do it wrong). I don't think it's the locale; else the aforementioned manual delete
of the quote wouldn't work. Writing macros is beyond my abilities (I don't know the language and I don't know
where and how to enter them. If something that straight-forward requires complex programming, the software is
broken).

This is LibreOffice 3.4 on Linux Mint. The column-based text is just copied from an xterm with the
mouse. I have used OpenOffice and derivatives for years, but this one stumps me.

Any ideas?

   Herbert
I would do this:

Import the data into a sheet (pasting), say column a
In the adjacent column b enter the formula =value(a1) in cell b1.

If you wish you can save the original data on another sheet (say Sheet2) and then the formula is =value(Sheet2.a1)

--
Jay Lozier
jslozier@gmail.com