Windows XP LO 4.0.0.3

We have a Calc spreadsheet, originally designed in Excel 2003.  The first
sheet has the data entry, and the second sheet shows the graphs, pulled from
the data on the first sheet.  The graphs are on 4-5 pages.  When working in
the Calc version, a green bar flashes across the bottom of the page saying
that it is saving.  That would be fine, except that it keeps saying that it
is saving, and it locks the Calc program completely.  The only way that we
can get out of the Calc sheet is to Ctrl-Alt-Del and end the task.

The time we have the Calc sheet open varies; anywhere from 10 - 60 minutes.
We could be entering data, or just have the Calc sheet open to view, and it
starts trying to save.

We are currently saving our documents in MSO format, XLS.  We just tried
saving the document in ODS format, and we got a 'Write error' (not sure
why).  Because of the nature of the document, we are not able to post it.

Has anyone else seen this behavior?  Any ideas as to what is causing this,
or how we can correct it?