Dan,
You need to specify that NULLs are allowed in _both_ the table edit and the form control edit for that particular field in your database, if you allow Nulls. If you want an empty string instead of a NULL, you should be able to set the "default" field value to " " (note the space, a "" may be interpreted as a NULL by the server). This can be done in either the table edit or the form edit, but one takes precedence over the other. I have never done this, so some experimentation may be in order. Why not use NULLs? I use them all the time when a field is unknown. The only places I do not allow NULLs are the primary and foreign keys and maybe some fields that are in calculated field formulas, such as: <price> * <quantity>. Hope this helps.
Girvin Herr

Dan Lewis wrote:
I have a form that requires first name, middle initial, and last name. Some of the people do not have a middle initial. For such people I want the field for the middle initial to contain an empty string. How do I accomplish this? (For this field, I have set the Data property, "Set empty string to NULL" to No.)

--Dan