Hi :)
I think you should NOT be using trying to run as SuperUser by su or sudo or anything.  It should
work without that but i agree it was a good idea to give it a go to see what happens.

Can you try adding the tag

-v

or

--verbose

to see if it gives you more output to explain what is going wrong?  Perhaps something like

/opt/libreoffice4.0/program/soffice --headless -v --convert-to pdf sample.ppt

I'm not sure if position matters but i think it doesn't.  If it does then i've probably put it in
the wrong place.  You can find out more about the tags that can be used in Gnu&Linux by just using
the tag

-h

or

--help

Btw the double - and full word seems to be the newer way but not everyone has caught up yet so
sometimes programs still need the shorter tag or are happy with either.  Its getting less messy
like that now but it takes time for an evolution like that to ripple outwards.  Machines in remote
places might be worth holding back from radical upgrades just in case something does go wrong.
No-one wants to go for a long hike in space just to plug a keyboard in and sit doing coding work.
Regards from
Tom :)