-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: any good libreoffice/linux fonts for sharing documents with
windows users
From: Kracked_P_P---webmaster <webmaster@krackedpress.com>
To: users@global.libreoffice.org
Date: 2013.03.24.Sun.16:34:33
On 03/24/2013 03:45 PM, Jean-Francois Nifenecker wrote:
Le 24/03/2013 19:55, Jason Paul Joines a écrit :
     I'm using LibreOffice 4.0.1.2 on Kubuntu 12.04.2.  I'm working
on a
spreadsheet that I will need to send to a windows user who is not using
LibreOffice.  What native Linux/LibreOffice font can I use that will
also be available on the windows system?

To complement Kieran's answer, the Liberation fonts (available as
Mono, Sans Serif, Sans Narrow and Serif) are supposed to have exactly
the same width and height of resp. CourierNew, Arial, Arial Narrow
and TimesNewRoman. Thus you may use them as they'll either be
available on the target PC or replaced with the default ones cited
above.

I would make sure you have "ttf-mscorefonts" installed on your Kubuntu
system.  That will give you the core Windows fontson your
Kubuntu/Ubuntu system.

Verdana, Tahoma, Georgia, and Trebuchet MS, are core fonts that seem
to be apart of most Windows systems.  Add those tothe list of others.

So, you are creating a spreadsheet using LO that will be used in
Excel? I would stick with the following: Arial, Tahoma, and Georgia.

There is an art and science involved in choosing fonts, or a list of
fonts, that wouldbe a good choice to used for documents between
systems and OS types.  People have even made lists of which fonts are
used on one system that would be as close as possible to other font
names on other systems.

Personally, I tend to make sure my Windows and Ubuntu systems have the
same set of fonts.  If I need to share documents that are to be used
and edited by others, and I know which OS they are using, I then stick
with font names that I know they will have as one of their core fonts.

Since I currently have not installed any fonts on a new laptop, that
was not installed by Win7/Home Premium. or LO and any other package, I
could make a list of all of the installed fonts in the Win7 laptop and
see if I can highlight the ones that were installed by packages like
LO and Corel Draw, over top of the ones installed when the OS was
placed onto the laptop by Gateway.

    Thanks for the information.  I may try the Liberation fonts though
they don't look seem to look very nice.  I use LibreOffice and Linux
because they are open source.  I really don't want to have anything from
microsoft on my system so I'll probably avoid ttf-mscorefonts.

Jason