Hi Paul,
I located the lock file, (it was in a different directory where I had moved
all of the database's files prior to restoring earlier files from my
backup), and deleted it.  That didn't seem to do anything.  It was only
when I closed LibreOffice and came in again later, that the problem went
away.  I think the key was probably the restart of LibreOffice.
Incidentally, it looks like the system was able to locate the lock file
even though it had been moved to another directory.

Hi Dan,
I looked for the backup directory you mentioned, but couldn't find it.
 Doesit exist only when there is a file that needs recovering?
Anyway, as you
can see above, I didn't need to use your solution.

Thank you both for your help,

Noel
--
Noel Lodge