At 17:06 07/03/2013 +0700, Ken Heard wrote:
I found in part the answer to my own question. Any text in a cell is also a paragraph.

But of course!

If the paragraph style used in a cell provides for spacing on any or all four sides of a paragraph, then those spaces override the spacing in the borders tab.

No, there is no overriding, I think: instead, both spacings are applied - in sum.

So I managed to fix most of the cells by adjusting the spacing in the paragraphs used, but there is still one row with three cells where the spacing in the border tab and in the paragraph style are all zero, yet the spacing is still much larger on the top and bottom than I really want.

There is probably one place that you have missed. You talk about paragraph style and also about "spacing in the paragraphs" - and indeed indents and spacing are properties both of paragraphs and of paragraph styles. Right-click in your text and go to each of Paragraph... and Edit Paragraph Style... . You may find the rogue spacing in either of those places.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker