At 23:06 27/02/2013 -0800, Maxim Sherstobitov wrote:
When I open the MS Word file it comes up with some SECURITY protection and we can not see it properly.

You seem to think that the word "SECURITY" that you can see relates to the security of the word processor document you are handling. But I think not. Instead, it appears to be part of the text of some sort of template or instructions for the person originally preparing the document, so that it is laid out according to the corporate style and requirements. This evidently becomes invisible in the final document when it is opened in Microsoft Word. As you say, Writer does not display it in the same way.

One workaround is to select the unwanted text - which you will see consists of an inserted picture - and simply to delete it. There appear to be other pictures which you may also need to delete. But the document still does not display correctly, and you will need to do some reformatting in order to get it back looking how its publishers intended.

It is possible to remove such information in Microsoft Word before distributing document files to others - and that is probably what the document's publishers should have done. I've tried to do that in Word, but the document is protected, so that such changes can no longer be made to it: the protection is secured by a password which you will not have. But Writer ignores such protection, so it is possible to re-save the document from Writer as .doc but without the protection, then open that in Word and remove the hidden material. I'll attempt to do this, but you will almost certainly be left with a document that does not appear quite as it should. You may wish to open the original document in the freeware Microsoft Word Viewer (if you have a Windows installation to hand) and then edit the converted one in Writer to look as similar as necessary.

The file was created by New Zealand Customs but I am not sure why Libre Writer can not view it properly.

You may want to complain to them that they should have removed the extraneous material before publishing the document and in any case that it is probably improper for them to require the form's users to purchase a specific commercial product (Word) in order to be able to use it straightforwardly.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker