Hal ,
It can be done!

I don't know if it's dangerous or not, but the link on oooforum.org (when it's up) either had a link to
another post or I found this by searching for "modal dialog" on that site.  This example
(http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?t=8481) uses AWT, going through LO, to make windows.  You
can't use the Dialog Designer in the LO IDE, but you get full control over your window.

I took this example, ran it, and it opened a window.  So I copied the code in the Main routine,
pasted it in at the end of that routine, and it created another window with some differences I
edited in.

So, as best I can tell, you can't create multiple dialog windows with "normal" dialogs in LO,

Yes you can, but it depends how you construct the dialog

1: Modal
    oDialogcontrol.setvisible(true)
    oDialogControl.execute

here the dialog is opened and only after closing your code comes back to just behind the "excute", so al new dialogs (and other actions) have to been opened from a button on the first dialog, the user can only works in the last opened dialog....

2: Non Modal
    public bEnd1 as boolean
    odialogControl1.setvisible(true)
    Do
    Wait 100
    Loop while not bEnd1

here the dialog is opened and your code is avancing after the setting of bEnd1, the dialog is closed when setting bEnd1 to true.. The user can now working outside the dialog and open different dialogs ect..
every bEnd and every dialog object have to have different namens.
Minus is that Throbers an taskbars and time keeping not works because the machine is confused with the bEnd loops...
public bEnd2 as boolean
    odialogControl2.setvisible(true)
    Do
    Wait 100
    Loop while not bEnd2
3: AWT
   is non-modal and  Throbbers and task bars and time keeping are working

hope it helps

Fernand
but you can do it if you use the AWT toolkit.

But for my own stuff - this got me thinking about what I wanted to do and in that time I've had to
think, I'm beginning to wonder if I shouldn't just use my other idea, which would store notes in a
LO document and on the computer hard drive, too - it'd basically be a stick notes program that
integrates with LO so notes can be associated with a document.  But that's just a side not that, in
the time it took to research this, I may have found a different way to do things that doesn't need
two dialogs open at once.

Hal