Hi :)
Is it a file that everyone needs access to at their own desks?  Is it possible to just have 1
desktop with MSO on it and then people update the file from there?

If the other organisation is not Oracle then they might well be willing to re-write the code or
have it re-written or allow it to be re-written "for improved security" and to allow it to be used
with Free Software.  A lot of people start off with both MS Office and LibreOffice/OpenOffice on
their machines at the beginning of a migration or just to be able to deal with a wider variety of
clients.  Perhaps the organisation that needs this spreadsheet filled in might be willing to
install LibreOffice on their machines rather than forcing you to buy a lot of licenses for
something you wouldn't otherwise need.

It seems you have some leverage there.  There are probably people on this list that wouldn't mind
being paid a little to translate the macros and at far less than the cost of a lot of MSO licenses.
 I'm no good with macros btw, jic you were wondering.
Regards from
Tom :)