Why not make sure that the version of LO work for the current Long-Term-Support version of Ubuntu Unity? I do not use Unity, since I do not like it. But There will be a lot of Unity users who will want LO to work with their 12.04LTS version till the next LTS comes out. I did not use 11.04/11.10 but waited till 12.04LTS.

Is there any way to make sure that LO works with 12.04LTS, 12.10, 13.04, and then 13.10?

Right now, articles state Mint Linux [MATE or Cinnamon] is more popular than Ubuntu/Unity [and the other desktop environments for it]. But if we "turn off" some of our Linux users, then where will it stop after that? I use Ubuntu, but I hate Unity so I do not use it. BUT, many people love Unity and those people are most likely LO users and really would be upset if the specific Unity menu system will not work with LO.