Tom wrote:

I think LaTeX is far more sophisticated for proper professional
printing. My guess would be that commercial publishing houses convert
from Writer or Word into LaTeX (or something) and then perhaps reapply
formatting.

I doubt that. Most professional printing and publishing nowadays is done
from PDFs supplied by the publisher to the printer.

Even so-called Desktop Publishing tools such as Publisher tend to
mangle things quite badly. The quality of documents created with
Writer is far far higher but it's still unlikely to compete with
proper DTP tools such as LaTeX.

But kerning is a function of the font, not of the application. The
kerning in Libre Office is fine, provided the appropriate kerning is
built in to the fonts you use. I have used Libre Office (with various
fonts) in professional publishing. The texts are printed to PDF, the
PDFS are sent to the printers, and the results are perfect.