On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 6:14 PM,  <vdvogt@drvdvogt.de> wrote:
Hi Simos,

Am 2013-01-25 16:07, schrieb Simos Xenitellis:

On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 5:59 PM,  <vdvogt@drvdvogt.de> wrote:

Hi Simos,
yes, you are right!
But, OpenOffice.org is past.
The projects name now is Apache OpenOffice.

With the "abbreviation" OpenOffice I refer to the former OpenOffice.org
and
to Apache OpenOffice.
I hope you will accept this abbreviation.

If you are doing academic work, you should use the proper names.
The reason that 'OpenOffice' was not selected ten years ago was
because some other company in Europe had already registered the name
'OpenOffice'.

Not entirely correct.
It was an american enterprise that has grabed the rights for this name.
OpenOffice.org is now in the hands of Oracle and that will not spit it out.
;-(

The trademark for "OpenOffice" belongs to some other company, not
related to any of these. Whoever has the trademark for "OpenOffice",
had that trademark well before the year 2000 (when "OpenOffice.org"
was trademarked).
The trademark to "OpenOffice.org" is probably with Oracle, but it is
not in use as it refers to the old defunct project.

If you use "OpenOffice" for these office suites, then you are using an
informal term.
Most likely it will not look good in your Master thesis to have an
informal term. But then that is up to you and your school.

Simos

regards
Veit

Simos