On 01/23/2013 06:26 PM, John Bentham wrote:
Hello,

I recently upgraded my OS from Kubuntu 8.04 with OpenOffice 2.4 to Kubuntu 12.04 with LibreOffice.

Unfortunately, when I open a file in LibreOffice that was created in OpenOffice, the text on one page now flows over to a second page.

My laptop has LibreOffice, and I compared all line spacing, margin settings. etc. to the same document on another desktop that still has OpenOffice 2.4 installed.All settings look identical. In fact, I am comparing the same document using a flash drive to go between systems.

Has anyone had a similar problem?How do I resolve this without reformatting the entire document?

I'll be happy to send screen shots, if that will help.

I had this problem with the OOo 3.0 with LO 3.3. The problem then was the default fonts. LO installs some fonts and uses them for the defaults.

Are the fonts you are using in the ".fonts" hidden folder? I have heard than some systems had OOo and LO fonts installed in other folders than the ".fonts" folder, including the ".libreoffice/3/user/fonts" folder. I keep that folder empty and only use the font files in the".fonts" folder. OOo may have a similar package defined folder where it places some of the fonts, like LO does. There seems to be some differences in some fonts that "seem" to have the same name.

I use Ubuntu 12.04 and 12.10 with the MATE desktop environment instead of the KDE desktop environment, but I have that option installed if I want to open Ubuntu using the KDE d.e..

KDE's System Settings - "Font Management" utility will group your fonts into System and Personal fonts. My used document fonts tend to alway be listed on the Personal font list and not the System font list. There are a lot of fonts in the System font list I never used and many were installed by Ubuntu 12.04 that were not installed with 10.04. Then things change again with 12.10.

ALSO, even if the font that is displayed on the "font drop down" menu for the document, does not mean you actually have that font installed in the laptop. If you create a document with Al Heavenly for the text, then place it on a flash drive and open it with a different laptop, the font name of "Al Heavenly" willshow in the document even though the second laptop does not have that font installed. It shows the font that is tagged with the text and does not have than font "grayed-out" or other indicator that you do not have it installed. So have you checked your font folder[s] to make sure the font is installed in bothsystems?

I tend toinstall a set of fonts on all my systems so I do not have this problem. When you have over 100,000 [14 GB] of font files on your system, with a few hundred installed at any one time, it can be a problem to make sure you have the needed fonts installed for a document, if you keep changing which fonts are installed on your system.