On 14/01/13 6:59 AM, Jay Lozier wrote:
On 01/13/2013 08:57 AM, Tom Davies wrote:
Hi :)
I think it's less of a problem on any unix-based platform even using Oracle's main versions. Mac had a problem with 2 old versions but generally the main problems are on Windows because it's much easier for a remote attacker to escalate their privileges. In Mac but even more so in Gnu&Linux it's quite normal to run things as a normal user without Superuser privileges. The whole Windows culture is for users to set their normal/only user as SuperUser otherwise stuff just doesn't work.

Notice that Oracle's main version of java keeps getting upgraded. Typically at least 1/month. It's always about security and they always advise people to upgrade to their newest version because of security problems with their older one (last month's). Then the month later they say there was a problem with the one they said was safe last month. The 1st 4 or 5 versions in their newer branch weren't even released apparently because they got compromised even before they got released.

OpenJdk doesn't seem to be so perpetually troubled. Personally i think that's due to the community taking notice of their bug-reports and being more careful about their coding. "More eyes on the code" surely helps 'obvious' troublesome areas.

Regards from
Tom :)

I do not know if any other implementations are vulnerable. The reports have been silent on that point so I would assume they are to be safe.

This appears to be OS independent and requires the Java applet plugin to be enabled to work. I understand the exploits are written in Java so they should run on any OS .