Hi Tom :)

Thanks for the reply.

I got an off-list e-mail with the link same as what you provided for
user profile to the other thread "where is that configuration file again?".
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/UserProfile
The mail pointed to a corrupted user profile.

As suggested in the link - and also in the e-mail - I did change the
profile directory name and restarted LibreOffice. Changed the option
from down to right and this time it worked and the choice was saved.

For other newbies/ GNUbies:
1. I was not sure which exact file to be renamed so I changed the
~/.libreoffice/3/user directory itself.

2. I was also told an upgrade would not help corrupt user profile as
user profile/ settings are (understandably) carried untouched to the
newer version.

The hardware has not thrown up other problems yet. Touch wood ;)

Thanks,
Regards,
Viral Orpe :)
Processor  : Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual Core E6600 CPU 3.00GHz
Memory     : 4GB, DDR3
OS            : Linux Mint 12 Lisa - Kernel Linux 3.0.0-13-generic (i686)
LibreOffice : LibreOffice 3.4.3  OOO340m1 (Build:302)