       Maybe I'm not understanding your problem, but ...
           it should take less time to 'select all' -> paste into notepad
[thereby removing all formatting]
                -> 'select all' and paste into a new LO blank document.
       At this point, 'select all' and click on the formatting you desire;
          then scan through to catch the footnotes to place them back in
line.

       I've done this a few times; time is about 15 minutes; having to scan
through those footnotes which have become out of line  ;-)
          save time at this point by 'find'ing each by number  ;-)