There is a difference between what the OS provides when running on the Windows 8 desktop versus
running an MX application.  So far, I've only seen OneNote MX on what's called the Metro (or
Modern) interface.

The MX applications run full screen (or on the side) and the application has to be designed
appropriately for it.  I'd be surprised if it is practical to do this with the current
OpenOffice-descendant code bases, especially for Windows RT, the version for ARM processors.

I think extensive productivity applications will continue to run on the desktop side of Windows 8,
at least when the computer keyboard and display form factors make that appealing.  Versions
designed for touch usage and MX-style will work on smaller form factors, including phones, and
depend on the multi-touch gestures more.

LibreOffice, OpenOffice, and Microsoft Office 2013 are desktop applications and benefit from what
the OS provides without requiring application cooperation (apart from using the Windows APIs in
ways that allows the OS personality to be extended to the application).  For some form of inputs,
such as accepting "ink," the application has to cooperate. (Windows 8 also supports use of pen and
stylus input.  The Windows 8 Surface comes with a stylus, but the Windows RT Surface does not.  But
Windows 7 and the Windows XP Tablet PC editions from 2005 all support this form of input.)

Office 2007 does work with my Tablet PC's features, although I think it is essentially via OS
provisions.  There may be some accommodation for "ink" from the Tablet PC stylus, but I have not
explored that beyond how it works with Office 2007 OneNote.

 - Dennis