On 12/06/2012 09:40 AM, Sharon Kimble wrote:
I've just installed LibreOffice 3.6.4.3 onto Debian Wheezy [aka
testing] and it works but keeps the Debian LibreOffice as well. This is
the error report when trying to install 'desktop-integration'
######
dpkg
-i
/home/boztu/programmes/LibO_3.6.4.3_Linux_x86_install-deb_en-US/DEBS/desktop-integration/libreoffice3.6-debian-menus_3.6.4-3_all.deb
Selecting previously unselected package libreoffice-debian-menus. dpkg:
regarding .../libreoffice3.6-debian-menus_3.6.4-3_all.deb containing
libreoffice-debian-menus: libreoffice-debian-menus conflicts with
libreoffice-bundled libreoffice-core provides libreoffice-bundled and
is present and installed.

dpkg: error
processing
/home/boztu/programmes/LibO_3.6.4.3_Linux_x86_install-deb_en-US/DEBS/desktop-integration/libreoffice3.6-debian-menus_3.6.4-3_all.deb
(--install): conflicting packages - not installing
libreoffice-debian-menus Errors were encountered while
processing:
/home/boztu/programmes/LibO_3.6.4.3_Linux_x86_install-deb_en-US/DEBS/desktop-integration/libreoffice3.6-debian-menus_3.6.4-3_all.deb
####

This means that there are no menu items for it and so have to be
created using 'alacarte' with the shortcuts going
to /opt/libreoffice3.6/program/swriter , but then it works like a
charm! :)

However, i have not needed to update the Debian LibreOffice yet so I’m
unsure what will happen then. This is more of an update with regard to
the next version of Debian which is currently in testing, and may well
be released as 'stable' in quarter 1 of 2013, but that’s just my
guesstimate.

Thanks
Sharon.
The above is the normal situation when LibreOffice is part of a Debian distribution. There is another thing to consider. The Debian version of LibreOffice has its own set of bugs that are different from the bugs that LibreOffice from the LO website may have. Besides, the Debian versions are always several versions behind those in the LO website. For example, the Debian stable version due out this spring will likely be 3.6.x. The website should have 3.6.4 shortly with 3.6.6 due out in the week of April 8-14, 2013. (They would like to have 4.02 out about that same time. I think I had the same problem with Ubuntu (a Debian derivative). Since with my writing and QA testing I need to use LO from the website, I have to remove the Ubuntu version completely using Synaptic. Unfortunately this has to be done every time I go to the newest version of Ubuntu. Fortunately, that is only once every 2 years. Daily upgrades from Ubuntu do not bother my versions of LibreOffice.

--Dan