I have googled and looked through the documentation and I can't find a way
to accomplish this task:

I want to create a PDF fillable form using LibreOffice that I can
programmatically fill later in an application I am developing.

Where I am currently at: I can create a .odt LibreOffice file and add a
form field.  I can also add a name to this form (in this case I want the
name to be "first_name".)  It all works fine except when I proceed to
generate the output PDF.  I go through the file->export menu and the PDF
exports correctly, and I can open it in Acrobat X and the fields show up
and are editable exactly as I want.

The ONLY problem I have (and I can't seem to find a workaround) is that the
form field loses the name I specified inside LibreOffice.  So even if I
edit the field to be called "first_name" in LibreOffice it exports and
shows up as TextBox1 inside Acrobat X.

I attempted to change all of the parameters on the export dialog but if
there is a magic combination of checks that makes this work I haven't found
it yet.

Hope someone can shed some light on how this can be accomplished.
Thanks!
-Luke