I'm new to this e-mail list, so excuse me if this is something discussed already.

I've been very pleased with LibreOffice on many fronts. I recommend it to everyone. As a matter of fact, I use it instead of Word at every opportunity. At work, though, I use Word because that's what's installed.

I write a newsletter for the American Legion. Since it was developed in Word, I use my old student copy of Word 2003 to create it each month. I have to provide both a .doc and .pdf of the newsletter to the printers. My trick, since Word 2003 doesn't offer a .pdf output, is to read the .doc with LibreOffice (3.5) and publish it to .pdf.

For the first time in months, LibreOffice can't seem to recognize the .doc format. I'm using the same version of Word that I've used for months. The newsletter is basically the same file, which I copy and modify for the new month. For whatever reason, LibreOffice tries to open it as a text file. It initially asks what text encoding it should use, waits for a long time, and then opens a garbage document.

Is this a known problem? Did I do something to the document that caused it to be read incorrectly?

Thanks for any ideas on this.

Chris