I running Libo 3.5.7 (English US version) on XP/SP3

GUI: English

Default Western language: English
Default Asian language: Japanese
Language packages are installed for English, German, Dutch and Japanese
I am writing documents in English, Japanese, German and Dutch

All I am doing is start typing in one of the languages and then: tool>language> here I select: Selection, Paragraph, For all text. It seems that LibO even recognizes the languages, nevertheless I have to make the selection.