Hi :)
A bug-report is a good plan.

When i had a quick look into NeoOffice a couple of years ago it was based on OpenOffice.org
pre-the-fork.  I don't know if they have re-based on LO in the last couple of years.  Either way it
uses ODF.  Apache OpenOffice are hoping to incorporate all the accessibility stuff from IBM's Lotus
Symphony fairly quickly even though it's all java-based.  Again, both use ODF.

Doc format is good at the moment but it's owned by MS and it's in their best interest to try to
stop it from being used for new documents and the sooner they can do that the better for them.
They need to push everyone into using their newer format (which changes at each release of their
Suite) so that people are forced into renting the latest MS Office suite as soon as possible.

Right now is a difficult time to start thinking about long-term storage.  Maybe in a year or 2
things will become clearer
1.  the MS format may settle down although that seems unlikely
2.  ODF may become much more widely used
Of course the Rtf format that was being widely promoted a few years ago has turned out to be a bit
of a nightmare and is another format owned by MS.  Apparently MS made the same promises for Rtf
that they currently make for DocX but fell so far short of their promises about interoperability
and compatibility that MS allegedly lost court cases about it.

Doc is a good format for sharing documents and working with others at the moment but it might not a
good one for long-term storage.  ODF seems to be rapidly increasing in popularity.  It was a bit of
a surprise that Apple choose to create their own format!

So, i think your plan to store documents in 2 formats is a good plan.  Pdf is not easily editable
but at least it looks the same on different types of machines.
Regards from
Tom :)