At 10:44 19/10/2012 -0400, Charles Meyer wrote:
I'm new to Libre Office but I read how you can create your own default font style and size so a blank document will open to that default style and size. I'm trying to set Libre Writer so that when I open a saved plain text (.txt) file it opens to my created default style and size. Right now it opens to Preformatted Text - Courier New 10 point. I've visited Styles and Formatting and right clicked on Preformatted Text and chosen Modify and changes the font to Bookman Old 12 point and clicked Apply, then OK. I then reopened Preformatted Text style and it indeed displays my chosen font and size.

However, still when I open a saved plain text file it opens to Preformatted Text but with Courier New 10 point - not the Bookman Old 12 point I chose and saved. Would anyone know if you can open saved plain documents to a desired font style and size or are you always stuck with Courier New 10 point whenever you open a plain text file?

I don't think that there is a way to do this. The answers so far have been workarounds. (It's not clear whether their authors were aware of that.) You are not talking about inserting a file into an existing document or pasting text into an existing document but about opening a plain text file in LibreOffice (Writer) - either through File | Open... or using Open With > (or similar) in your operating system. You would then, after editing, presumably save this as a (formatted) .odt document.

There are two issues here, I think. In order to change the Preformatted Text paragraph style you have to have a document open - and the change is made to the style in that document, not in your installation of LibreOffice. So your change is ignored when you open the new document from your plain text file. The way around that might seem to be to create a template containing your modified Preformatted Text paragraph style and then to set that as the default template. You can certainly do that. Now you would probably expect in this case that when you open your plain text file the new text (Writer) document would be created from your new modified default template, but - perhaps perversely - it appears to be opened using the original "default" default template, ignoring your desired change.

I trust this helps (though I doubt it does).

Brian Barker